Burnsville, MN and Kenyon, MN
Department: Corporate Executive
Reports To: CEO
Reporting Employees: Finance Department
Work Schedule: As Arranged
Exemption Status: Exempt Managerial
The Controller is responsible for the day-to-day management of Foldcraft's accounting operations and ensures all aspects of accounting and financial reporting are recorded properly in accordance with GAAP and Company policies. Leads and directs the development of efficient accounting policies, procedures, processes and systems ensuring proper financial controls are in place and Foldcraft operates effectively under applicable guidelines and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Oversees the management of the General Ledger including preparation of journal entries, account analysis, account reconciliation, and monthly close of the books.
2. Maintains the Chart of Accounts according to company procedures.
3. Manages the Trial Balance according to company procedures.
4. Reconcile Auditor account groupings to internal account groupings used for financial reporting according to company procedures.
5. Ensures appropriate balance sheet accruals are maintained; recommends changes to CEO as necessary.
Bank Documentation and Reconciliation
1. Develop accurate and timely Borrowing Base Certificates with appropriate back up data according to company procedures.
2. Provide timely and accurate financial reports each financial institution requires at fiscal period end.
3. Accountable for the oversight of cash management and daily reconciliation of all bank accounts.
Audit and Tax
1. Manages the preparation of required materials for audit and tax.
2. Serves as key point of contact for external auditors and manage all audit activities for quarterly and annual audits.
3. Accountable for the management of all 1099 filings for Foldcraft.
4. All tax preparations and filings by working with the corporate independent accounting firm.
5. Responsible for sales and use tax compliance.
Financial Reporting and Analysis
1. Manages the period end close process including revenue recognition and intercompany accounting.
2. Provides insightful manufacturing variance analysis.
3. Works with other functional areas and IT in understanding and integrating the company ERP system to facilitate process improvements, automation, streamlined operations and effective cost management.
4. Ensures legal and regulatory compliance is upheld throughout the organization.
5. Ensures appropriate internal controls and financial procedures are in place.
Leadership and Supervision
1. Manages the accounting function to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems in accordance with GAAP.
2. Assists in the development and maintenance of accounting policies and procedures that are appropriate for a mid-sized manufacturing company.
3. Maintains expertise in applicable accounting principles and help ensure new accounting guidance is appropriately considered and implemented.
4. Serve as a coach to teams ensuring strategic, tactical and consistent administrative of practices, procedures, and policies; ensures compliance with all policies and procedures through regular management and staff meetings.
5. Lead and develop the Accounting Teams to ensure strategic, tactical and consistent administrative of best practices, consistent application of company policies, procedures, and practices.
6. Participate in the selection and on-boarding of new employees within the Finance department; actively involved in the proper training and development of new employees; identifies personnel who are capable of training new staff members.
7. All other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDSTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
• Must be able to sit at desk for an eight-hour shift (with intermittent movement)
• See, hear and communicate with sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks
• Must be alert and aware of surrounding for safety concerns
The work environment for this position is a combination of office and manufacturing settings. As Foldcraft Co. is a manufacturer of furniture, the incumbent will be exposed to dust, various temperatures, fumes and loud noise in the manufacturing setting. Due to periodic time spent on the manufacturing floor, the incumbent must be able to tolerate some exposure to these work place characteristics. The incumbent must also follow company safety procedures including wearing required personal protective equipment while on the production floor.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
• 7 plus years of broad based financial and business experience
• Experience as a member of a middle-management team with an understanding of the full range of private sector reporting and business functions and systems, including product development, commercialization, operations management, budgeting, business analysis and information systems.
• Have the business acumen to anticipate uncertainty, manage risk, embrace change and drive sound decision making throughout the organization.
• Experience working the manufacturing industry preferred.
• Solid understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Able to maintain strict confidence in financial sensitive information, and demonstrate a high level of integrity.
• Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections; working knowledge of short and long term budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, and product-line profitability analysis
• Demonstrated ability to make solid, objective, ethical decisions
• Ability to motivate and retain employees to get excellent performance
• Ability to understand and carry out corporate direction quickly and with minimal supervision
• A collaborative work style, with a strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and partner with others.
• Willingness to continuously learn
• Demonstrate a strong self-initiative, sense of urgency and customer relationship building skills with employees of all levels.
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Approachability, positivity, professionalism and high energy.
• Must be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and accounting software. Experience with Vantage/Epicor, FRX and Great Plains preferred.
• Travel < 10%.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Foldcraft Co. reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at their discretion. The job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.