Department: Manufacturing Support
Reports To: Director of Business Development
Reporting Employees: None
Work Schedule: Hours of operation are 6AM-2:30PM, Monday-Friday. Overtime will be requested based upon business need and may be mandatory.
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
This Employee-Owner is accountable for performing and/or leading a full range of field services related to furnishings, upholstered products, architectural millwork and case goods, including field measures, installation, product repair and modification due to quality claims, and ensuring that standard work is followed and customer requirements are fully met. This position is accountable to produce results by assisting in the development of business with existing and potential customers; delivering the best possible service to our customers; accurately measuring for, and installing all Foldcraft product offerings; upselling and delivering value added services that close sales. The incumbent will participate in the coordination and installation of J.H Carr and Foldcraft products at the customer’s establishment in accordance with company procedures. At times, the Lead Installer will also serve as a back up to Shipping/Receiving Department and Wood Chairs Department as production needs demand.
Essential duties & responsibilities
Upon the customer’s request for installation services the Field Services Technician will:
- Prepare and organize materials necessary for scheduled installations including tools, Foldcraft products, confirmation of installation schedule, completing installs within clients requested time frames, verifying installation locations, confirming contact on-site, obtaining driving directions, and other information as necessary and in accordance with client’s expectations.
- Load and unload all materials necessary for installation job, carefully transport product to minimize damage during transmit
- Read blueprints/plans to determine correct placement of booths, tables, and chairs within prescribed seating areas at establishment
- Assemble metal bases for tables, bolting to floor when necessary and connect finished table tops
- Place and anchor finished booths sides to walls and bolt booth sectional bases to floor
- Measure and place tables between booth sections to required industry and federal ADA standards
- Utilize a variety of upholstery techniques in the field to perform reupholstery work, modifications and on-site repair.
- Perform installations; making modifications and adjustments to products in order to compensate for field conditions.
- Disassemble, disconnect, and remove existing furniture from establishment and transport back to a Foldcraft facility for reupholster and/or refinish work
- Maintain clean work area on site and in the Foldcraft vehicle; cleaning up and repacking any materials at job site, returning equipment and hand tools to their proper storage locations upon return from installation
- Maintain safe working conditions at all times while completing installations, including utilizing proper personal protective equipment
- Transport products and equipment to the jobsite following DOT regulations.
- Ensure outstanding customer service and communication with internal and external customers.
- Continually develop business with the assigned customers by recommending additional products and services
- Answer customer inquiries about Foldcraft products, their measurements, installation, modification and repair
- Demonstrate and instruct others on install techniques as necessary
- Operate a Foldcraft company vehicle to and from job sites
- Perform the role of a Production Operations Team Member when not on an installation, delivery, or field service assignment.
- Embrace continuous improvement activities including but not limited to 5S, Lean Manufacturing, and 5S in both the installation and production environments.
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully; the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employee-owners with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
- Manual dexterity -- Ability to be able to move your hands quickly to grasp, manipulate, or assemble
- Extent Flexibility -- The ability to bend stretches, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs. Typically bends, stoops, and turns/pivots to move perform production activities.
- Trunk Strength -- The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Static Strength -- The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects up to 70 pounds on a rare basis, up to 50 pound on a frequent basis. Typically pushes, pulls, and grasps wood products to complete production tasks.
- Stamina -- The ability to exert him or herself physically over long periods of time without getting winded or out of breath; must be able to walk/stand for 10-12 hours per day.
- Dynamic Strength -- The ability to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue.
- Multi-limb Coordination -- The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting or standing. Typically requires full use of arms and hands to reach overhead, forward, and out to the sides to lift, rotate, carry, etc. wood products and/or tools.
- Gross Body Coordination -- The ability to coordinate the movement of your arms, legs, and torso together when the whole body is in motion while performing production functions.
- See, Hear and Communicate -- Sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions.
As Foldcraft Co. is a manufacturer of furniture; the employee-owner could also be exposed to dust, various temperatures, fumes and loud noise in the manufacturing and installation setting. Due to regular time spent on the manufacturing floor, the employee-owner must be able to tolerate exposure to these work place characteristics. The employee-owner must also follow allow company safety procedures, including wearing required personal protective equipment while performing their installation duties.
- Education: GED or High School Diploma
- Experience: 5+ years’ experience within manufacturing setting or constructions preferred, 1+ years previous furniture installation preferred
- Experience: Use of wood shop tools including electric tool, staple gun, band saw, table saw, belt sander, palm sander, spot welding, and tape measure required
- Must have an understanding of upholstered booth frame construction methods or ability to quickly learn
- Valid Driver’s License with good driving record and ability to hold DOT Medical Card
- Previous experience operating forklifts and pallet jacks required
- Must be willing to work second or third shift hours as well as weekends
- Must be willing to fly or drive to worksite with short notice provided
- Ability to work alone or as a team member with minimal supervision. Flexibility is required, as the incumbent will be assigned to various areas as the workload necessitates outside of installation responsibilities.
- Must be able to stand, kneel and crouch for long periods of time.
- Must be able to climb ladders and scaffolding
- Must be able to work in high places and in small cramped places.
- Must be able to work in hot humid places as well as cold places.
- Analytical thought process to work through problems out in the field with little or no supervision
- Willing to work overtime as needed and exceeding 12 hour days with overnight stays, and be able to work well under the pressure of deadlines. Attention to detail and a personal commitment to workplace safety are needed.
- Professional attributes including professionalism, self-motivation, self-discipline, focus and attention to detail critical.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a diverse environment with all levels of employees
- Knowledge of personal computers and software including Word, Excel, Outlook; office machinery, and capable of quickly becoming proficient with Foldcraft Co. ERP systems
- Must monitor work to ensure top quality product
- Strong attention to detail with organizational aptitude and multi-tasking abilities
- Must be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language; good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to add, subtract, multiple, and divide in all units of measure, using whole number, common fraction, and decimals
- Willingness to continuously learn and be open to feedback to improve individual performance.
- The incumbent must reside within a reasonable distance of the Kent WA area to service this location
- Travel: To and from various jobsites in the states of Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Infrequent overnight stays may be required.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Foldcraft Co. reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at their discretion. The job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.