Operations Team Member
Reports To: Team Lead
Reporting Employees: None
Work Schedule: 6:00 am - 2:30 pm, Monday-Friday. Overtime will be requested based upon business need and may be mandatory.
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
The POTM is responsible for performing a variety of jobs involved in manufacturing of furniture products of varied complexity including manufacturing of product, equipment operation, warehousing operation, machine set-up, housekeeping, and basic preventative maintenance activity. The POTM will be expected to be cross-trained in multiple areas of manufacturing operations to improve the safety, quality, delivery and cost performance of Foldcraft.
Essential duties & responsibilities
As work activities vary by assigned work cell, frequency and duration of activities will fluctuate. The following is in no particular order and will be completed according to standard operating procedures:
- Perform fabrication of wood or metal furniture products such as chairs, tables, or cabinetry items using hand tool;
- Safely use hand tools such as hammer, staple gun, electric drill, nail gun, palm sander, and equipment typically found in woodshop;
- Varnish/stain wood products utilizing pneumatic equipment, rag, or as directed;
- Operate industrial sewing machinery;
- Perform basic preventative maintenance and trouble-shooting of equipment;
- Identify, inspect and report product defects;
- Prepare furniture for shipment;
- Accountable for performing manufacturing operations skills based upon work cell assigned;
- Achieves desired cycle time pace, quality standards, and safety procedures;
- Cross train in related functions and assist others in obtaining cross-functional capabilities;
- Foster a supportive work environment where you are stating daily: Let me help!
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
Physical requirements of the job
To perform this job successfully; the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employee-owners with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
- Manual dexterity -- Ability to be able to move your hands quickly to grasp, manipulate, or assemble
- Extent Flexibility -- The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs. Typically bends, stoops, and turns/pivots to move perform production activities.
- Trunk Strength -- The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Static Strength -- The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects up to 70 pounds on a rare basis, 21-50 pounds occasionally, and up to 20 pounds on a frequent basis. Typically pushes, pulls, and grasps wood products to complete production tasks. A 2-person lift is required for anything over 50 pounds.
- Stamina -- The ability to exert yourself physically over long periods of time without getting winded or out of breath; must be able to walk/stand for 10-12 hours per day in intervals of 3-4 hours in department assigned.
- Dynamic Strength -- The ability to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue.
- Multi-limb Coordination -- The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting or standing. Typically requires full use of arms and hands to reach overhead, forward, and out to the sides to lift, rotate, carry, etc. wood products and/or tools.
- Gross Body Coordination -- The ability to coordinate the movement of your arms, legs, and torso together when the whole body is in motion while performing production functions.
- See, Hear and Communicate -- Sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions.
About the Work Environment
As Foldcraft Co. is a manufacturer of furniture, the employee-owner could also be exposed to dust, various temperatures, fumes and loud noise in the manufacturing setting. Due to periodic time spent on the manufacturing floor, the employee-owner must be able to tolerate some exposure to these work place characteristics. The employee-owner must also follow allow company safety procedures, including wearing required personal protective equipment while on the production floor.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Education: GED or High School Diploma preferred
- Experience: None
- 1+ year solid work history
- Prior use of wood shop tools including electric tool, staple gun, band saw, table saw, belt sander, palm sander, and tape measure preferred or must have ability to become proficient quickly
- Prior experience within lean manufacturing setting preferred
- Willing to work overtime as needed, and be able to work well under the pressure of deadlines
- Ability to learn quickly and follow standard operating procedures
- Fulfill the commitments you make and treating everyone with the respect they deserve
- Upholding the values of Foldcraft through words and actions
- Promoting positive team performance and effective work performances
- Ability to work alone or as a team with minimal supervision
- Adheres to established standard work process and fully understands established quality standards
- Follows and adheres to all safety policies, including maintaining a safe and organized work area
- Actively submits suggestions that will improve standard operations
- Ability to follow verbal instructions in English or have the ability to learn by observation with a willingness to learn English
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in units of measure to 1/16”
- Willingness to continuously learn and be open to feedback to improve individual performance
- Must reside within a reasonable distance of assigned location
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Foldcraft Co. reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at their discretion. The job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.