Welding Process Operator - Plymold (Kenyon, MN)
Reports To: Team Lead
Reporting Employees: None
Work Schedule: 6:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Thursday; overtime will be requested based upon business need and may be mandatory.
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
The employee-owner is responsible for performing a variety of jobs in a safety and efficient operations of the welding processes and assisting in the daily operations with the Metal Fabrications and Chair cells. The incumbent will be involved in manufacturing of metal furniture products of varied complexity including fabrication of product, equipment operation, machine set-up, and preventative maintenance activity. Employee-owners will be cross-trained in multiple areas of manufacturing operations to improve the safety, quality, delivery and cost performance of Foldcraft Co.
Essential duties & responsibilities
Perform manufacturing operations skills based upon work cell assigned in conjunction with standard operating procedures and desired cycle time pace, quality standards, and safety procedures; will perform the following based upon assignment in either Metal Fabrication and/or Chair Cells:
- Complete set-up and operation of MIG and Oxy-Acetylene welding equipment including use of proper jigs
- Closely inspects materials and work for defects, proper welding techniques, tolerances, customer specifications, and dimensions on products.
- Will perform set up and operations of dies, punch presses, drilling and tapping in welding equipment, and assisting in other departments as needed.
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment including cleaning, tool changes, and minor repairs related to welding and metal fabrication processes.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and work orders.
- Ability to read a tape measure and calipers.
- Inspect and prepare furniture for shipment
- Operate a forklift or electric pallet jack
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
Physical requirements of the job
To perform this job successfully; the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employee-owners with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
- Manual dexterity -- Ability to be able to move your hands quickly to grasp, manipulate, or assemble
- Extent Flexibility -- The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs. Typically bends, stoops, and turns/pivots to move perform production activities.
- Trunk Strength -- The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Static Strength -- The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects up to 70 pounds on a rare basis, 21-50 pounds occasionally, and up to 20 pounds on a frequent basis. Typically pushes, pulls, and grasps wood products to complete production tasks. A 2-person lift is required for anything over 50 pounds.
- Stamina -- The ability to exert yourself physically over long periods of time without getting winded or out of breath; must be able to walk/stand for 10-12 hours per day in intervals of 3-4 hours in department assigned.
- Dynamic Strength -- The ability to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue.
- Multi-limb Coordination -- The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting or standing. Typically requires full use of arms and hands to reach overhead, forward, and out to the sides to lift, rotate, carry, etc. wood products and/or tools.
- Gross Body Coordination -- The ability to coordinate the movement of your arms, legs, and torso together when the whole body is in motion while performing production functions.
- See, Hear and Communicate -- Sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions.
About the Work Environment
As Foldcraft Co. is a manufacturer of furniture; the employee-owner could also be exposed to dust, various temperatures, fumes and loud noise in the manufacturing setting. Due to periodic time spent on the manufacturing floor, the employee-owner must be able to tolerate some exposure to these work place characteristics. The employee- owner must also follow allow company safety procedures, including wearing required personal protective equipment while on the production floor.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Education: GED or High School Diploma. Preferred: Certification, Diploma, or Associate’s degree in Welding Technology.
- Experience: 1+ year solid work history with prior experience within lean manufacturing setting preferred; use of Welding technology and metal fabrication tools including MIG and Oxy-Acetylene Welding Processes, Punch Presses, Jigs and Fixtures, Dies, Drilling and Tapping Equipment.
- Act like an employee-owner by fulfilling the commitments you make, treating everyone with the respect they deserve, promoting positive team performance and effective work performances and upholding the values of an employee-owner through words and actions
- Ability to work alone or as a team employee-owner with minimal supervision.
- Willing to work overtime as needed, and be able to work well under the pressure of deadlines.
- Adheres to established standard work process and fully understands established quality standards to assure company quality guidelines.
- Follows and adheres to all safety policies, including maintaining a safe and organizes work area.
- Actively submits suggestions that will improve standard operations and process instruction documents; contributes to and utilizes 5S principles on a daily basis.
- Demonstrable cognitive ability to read words and numbers in English, follow verbal and written instructions in English, and work independently; ability to add, subtract, multiple, and divide in units of measure to 1/16”.
- Basic working knowledge of personal computers and office machinery
- Willingness to continuously learn and be open to feedback to improve individual performance.
- The employee-owner must reside within a reasonable distance of assigned location.
- Travel: Minimal travel among Minnesota plants may be requested from time to time.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Foldcraft Co. reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at their discretion. The job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.